Secondary 1 Registration (2024 Intake)
Dear Parents of Sec/Year 1 Students,
1. Congratulations on your son’s successful admission to Victoria School (VS).
2. We welcome you to the school and are glad that you are now a member of the Victorian Community. Our vision is that every Victorian will become a Gentleman, Professional and Sportsman. In line with our emphasis on a holistic and values-driven education, your son will have many opportunities to experience, develop, grow and excel (EDGE) through curricular and co-curricular activities. More information about the school can be found at the school website https://victoria.moe.edu.sg/
3. Please go through the attached briefing slides from your son’s Year Head, Ms Nur Fadhilah Binte Roslan Samat with your son.
Code of Conduct (COC)
4. In line with our Vision, every Victorian sets high expectations for himself as a Gentleman, Professional and Sportsman who makes tangible contributions to his family, work, community and nation. We adopt a pastoral approach to Student Development. We are firm and fair in managing our Victorians and value the partnership with teachers, parents and stakeholders in their upbringing.
5. All Victorians will wear the school tie during Monday morning assemblies where our School Song will be played. Please read our COC carefully as all Victorians are expected to abide by it. Students are to wear the prescribed school uniform as depicted below and modification to the uniform is not allowed. Students will be identified by their school uniform.
a. Full uniform (Lower Sec – School Khaki Shorts and White Shirt; Upper Sec – School Long Pants and White Shirt)
b. Half-uniform [PE/VCA/CCA T-shirt with Khaki Shorts (Lower Sec)/ School Long Pants (Upper Sec) ]
c. PE attire (PE/VCA T-Shirt with PE shorts)
d. Official CCA attire (e.g. UG uniform, Sports CCA shorts and T-shirt)
2024 Secondary/Year 1 Orientation Programme
6. To help your son learn more about the school, our senior Victorians and teachers have planned an Orientation Programme for you. The key activities and their dates are in the table below:
2024 Secondary/Year 1 Orientation
Tue 2 – Wed 3 January 2024
· Report to school in half uniform (VS PE t-shirt & school khaki shorts) on Tue 2 Jan 2024
· Details for the 2024 Secondary/Year 1 Orientation Programme has been attached in the PG message.
2024 Year 1 Integrated Programme (IP) Bridging Schedule
Thu 4 January 2024
· The 1-day programme aims to introduce IP students to the IP curriculum as well as to equip them with core skills such as collaborative learning and effective questioning.
Photo-taking session (Individual)
Wed 10 January 2024
· A professional photographer will be engaged to take your photograph. The attire for the photo-taking will be school uniform with school tie.
· You will be required to pay $5 (for 8 pieces of photograph) to the photographer on the day of the photo-taking.
· The photograph will be used for school administrative purposes.
Sec 1 Mother Tongue Languages (MTL) Placement Test
Fri 5 January 2024
· Only for Sec 1 (O-Level Track) MTL students appealing for HMTL.
· Details of the placement test will be provided later.
Fri 5 January 2024
· Students will be able to visit the booths set up by the CCAs and find out more about them.
Parent-Teacher Meeting (PTM)
Fri 5 January 2024 (6 pm onward)
· Details of the onsite PTM will be provided later.
CCA – Compulsory Audition and Trial Sessions
Mon 8 and Tue 9 January 2024
· The compulsory audition and trials are for selected CCAs only.
· More details will be provided when school re-opens
CCA Opt-In Audition & Trial Sessions
Wed 10 – Fri 19 January 2024
· Students interested to try out selected CCAs must register their interest during the CCA Showcase on 8 January 2024.
· These opt-in CCA audition and trial sessions will be conducted in the afternoons during the period stated.
· More details will be provided when school re-opens.
Parent Support Group (PSG) Coffee Talk
Thu 18 January 2024
· The Victoria School PSG will be sharing how you can support your child’s transition into Victoria School.
2024 Secondary/Year 1 Camp
Tue 6 – Thu 8 February 2024
· A day camp for Level 1 will be held in school. The objectives of the camp are to allow the students to bond with one another in their class and as a cohort, as well as to have a meaningful learning experience that is unique to Victoria School.
· Further details will be provided during the Sec/Year 1 PTM.
2024 Secondary/Year 1 Talent Night
Wed 7 February 2024
· The talent show (online broadcasting) will be the finale to the Level 1 Orientation and Camp. It will allow students to experience the VS spirit and camaraderie with their class and cohort.
· Further details will be provided during the Sec/Year 1 PTM.
Higher Mother Tongue Languages (HMTL)
7. Notifications have been sent to inform parents via Parent Gateway (PG) that their sons have been offered HMTL. If you did not receive the notification and wish to appeal to be offered HMTL, you may do so via (https://go.gov.sg/vsappealhmtl). The deadline is 3 Jan 2024.
8. All offer letters have been sent to you via PG:
a. Foreign Languages - please register online (https://www.moelc.moe.edu.sg/) with MOE Language Centre from 21 Dec 2023 to 4 Jan 2024. Please note that if you do not register by the scheduled deadline, it will be assumed that you do not wish to accept the offer. Students applying for foreign language classes at MOELC are strongly encouraged to opt for classes on Mondays at 3.30pm or later for their respective language classes to ensure that there is sufficient time for travelling to MOELC after classes end.
b. Chinese Special Programme (CSP) - please visit Changkat Changi Secondary School’s website (https://changkatchangisec.moe.edu.sg/) for details and to register by the scheduled deadline. Those who miss the registration deadline will be considered to be not taking up the offer.
c. Malay Special Programme (MSP) - please register online via (https://go.gov.sg/vs-msp)
Art Elective Programme (AEP) and Regional Studies Programme (RSP)
9. Students who wish to apply for AEP or RSP are to register their interest via this link (https://go.gov.sg/vs-aep-or-rsp2024) by 1pm on 26 Dec 2023. Students interested in RSP will be required to attend an interview. The selection process for both AEP and RSP will be administered when school reopens. You will be informed on the application outcome about a week after the selection process.
10. Please complete the following forms before school re-opens:
a. Student Medical Record Form
b. Declaration of Swimming Proficiency
c. Standing Order for Use of Edusave Account - only for parents who have not signed up previously
First day of school, 2 January 2024
Traffic Arrangements when School Re-opens
11. Please refer to the Map below for the traffic arrangements around the school:
12. While the construction of Siglap Station is nearing completion, the Main Gate and the vehicular bridge are yet to be fully completed. As such, till the completion of the vehicular bridge and Main Gate, parents’ vehicles will be allowed to enter the school campus to drop off their son, regardless of weather condition. Parents’ cars may enter via Gate 1 and drop their sons at the school foyer before exiting via Gate 2. Please follow the traffic directional signs and drive slowly within the school compound.
13. Parents planning to proceed to East Coast Parkway (ECP) expressway after the drop-off bay (Gate 1a), you may want to consider alighting your son at Side Gate B or the bus-stop before Seaside Residences entrance (less than 200 m to Gate 1 and sheltered).
14. For students who take the bus to school, they should enter the school via Side Gate A along Marine Parade Road. The swing gate next to Side Gate A will be open during morning school hours (Mon, Tue, Wed & Fri - 6:30am to 7:35am; Thu - 7:30am to 8:35am to ease human traffic). This gate will be manned by a school staff to ensure school security when it is open.
15. Students should check on their allocated class on the first day of school, 2 January 2024 (Tuesday). The class allocation is not finalised and there may be further movements till the end of the week. The 2024 Secondary/Year 1 class list will be put up at the School Foyer from 7.00am onwards. Student leaders will direct Level 1 students to their classrooms.
16. On the first day of school, please report to school by 7.20am in half uniform (VS PE t-shirt and school khaki shorts) and proceed directly to your classrooms.
17. Please remember to bring along the following items:
a. VS school badge (for badge pinning ceremony)
b. Mother Tongue language forms, where applicable
c. Spare mask (optional)
All the best for the new year and we look forward to seeing you on 2 January 2024.
Low Chun Meng